M-K-T / Katy Caboose||
Bay Window Caboose - Series 60 -69
R. Jackson Photo, Dallas, TX 7/85
These ten caboose started
as wood sheath cars built in the Katy's Denison Car Shops in 1918. All were rebuilt
1n 1928-29 and renumbered into the 751 - 795 series. When the Katy needed new cabooses
in the late fifties, ten underframes were salvaged and rebuilt into all-steel bay-window
cars. The first was numbered 60 and painted red with the Deramus herald. It was finished
in the summer of 1959, with the next nine completed between 1959 and 1962. The last one numbered
69, would be the only bay-window caboose repainted into the Barriger red scheme. At least
four would be on the equipment roster and in active service at the time of the merger.
More detailed infomation can be found in the Jerry Pitts Caboose Corner series from the June 1991 Katy Flyer.